Christmas is coming and nativity plays are being rehearsed alongside lessons and half term assessments. St Giles is busy anticipating Christmas and all the things that it brings.
The Infant and Reception Classrooms are a magical place to be around Christmas time. With many tales about what the children’s elf on the shelf has been doing and the chaos the children have found when they get up each morning. Some elves are more disruptive than others with some really naughty behaviour.
Here are 20 ideas for the mischievous elf on a shelf – click here for 100 ideas
1. Read a favourite book
2. Use masking tape to make a path or fun words
3. Play a favourite game
4. Play in the nativity set
5. Snowball fight with cotton balls
6. Play in a bowl of spaghetti (no sauce) : )
7. Eat some winter Oreo cookies w/ red cream and dip in milk
8. Bake a cake for Jesus birthday
9. Play checkers or chess
10. Spin the bottle with stuffed animals
11. Make a mess in the bathroom with the toothpaste
12. Get into the shaving cream
13. Hang from a balloon bouquet
14. Paint the kids noses with lipstick or sharpie (to match Rudolph)
15 Play the Wii or Nintendo
16. Hang on the Christmas tree
17. Elf the car or make the car a reindeer vehicle
18. Play the piano or guitar- holiday song sheet music is perfect
19. Replace family photos with elf photo
20. Elf photo appears as the screensaver on the family computer
The Reception children have been opening an advent calendar, taking it in turns, each morning to eat the chocolate and read parts of the Nativity Story. Apparently one child in the Reception Class has a hundred Advent Calendars!
The children have been learning about the Nativity Story.
The Infants are still working hard and have enjoyed their Topic for this half term. The Topic has been Memory Box. The Children have been thinking back to when they were babies and about Toys in the Past.
The children have decorated their very own memory box to place very small items in which they can keep very special memories.
They have read a wonderful book in Literacy called Wilfrid Gordon McDonald Partridge.
“Wilfred Gordon McDonald Partridge lives next door to a nursing home in which several of his good friends reside. Of course, his favourite is Miss Nancy Alison Delacourt Cooper, because she has four names just as he does. The only problem is Miss Nancy, who is 96, has "lost" her memory. Undaunted, Wilfred sets out to "find" Miss Nancy's memory for her.”
In Science they have planted spring bulbs and are growing them in controlled conditions to see what they need to grow. One set in watered soil and sunlight. One set in un-watered soil and sunlight and one set in grown in darkness.
But the Infants have a play to rehearse and costume to try on ready for their public next week!